A tax extension allows you to file your return later, up to six months beyond the original deadline (October 15th for individual returns). A tax extension can be helpful. For example, if you cannot file your tax return by the April deadline because you need more time to gather your tax documents and information, filing for a tax extension may be helpful.

What you need to know about filing for a tax extension:

  1. A tax extension is automatic:
    No reason or explanation is needed for an extension request. You only need to file Form 4868 (Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return) by the April deadline.
  2. Filing an extension does not extend the time to pay taxes:
    If you expect to owe taxes, you should estimate the amount and pay it by the April deadline to avoid penalties and interest.

We can file your tax extension

Our trained staff at Dunn and Apell accounting is well-versed in state and local laws and regulations related to tax extension requests. We will ensure your extension request is filed accurately and with the appropriate authorities.

Here are some of the ways we help you:

  • Preparing and filing Form 4868 on your behalf
  • Helping you estimate the amount of taxes owed and make any necessary payments to avoid penalties and interest,
  • Advising you on the documentation and information needed to file an accurate return
  • Helping you file the complete tax return once you have all the necessary information